And How Background

Saturday, January 9, 2010

More catch-Up or It's Another Miracle

I am still trying to catch up on some of the events of 2009. Just before the end of summer I had a friend tell me about a cool butterfly display at Beech Creek Gardens in Alliance, Ohio. If you have ever been to Alliance, you will know that it is a small town. So, it is somewhat surprising to find such a nice, free, butterfly display. When we walked in we were greeted and handed a Q-tip dipped in sugar water. We were free to wander around and coax the butterflies to feed off the sugar water. We were able to rub the syrup on back of our hands and get a butterfly to land and eat off the right of our hands (it tickles). We saw butterflies in all stages from caterpillar, to crysalis, and of course butterflies. The Monarch butterflies were the easiest to feed, but we saw some Cabbage whites and several others.

There was also a minature train garden in another building. The detail was amazing. many of the "trees" were small annuals pruned to look like woody trees. I have seen displays like this at Epcot in Disney World, but I was so impressed at the detail that was put in without the huge financial resources of Disney. It is fun to find hidden gems like this one so close to home.

1 comment:

  1. I am amazed at how many fun things there are to do in Ohio, I miss that so much! I really need to get out and explore Bellingham (after the baby of course!). The butterfly exhibit looks awesome, what a neat thing for the kids to do and see! Caleb would love something like that...

    ReplyDelete