We had promised our friends that we would visit them soon after they moved to Boston. So since we are much better at traveling than blogging, we quickly headed there a few months later over Labor day weekend. In planning the trip I realized half way from Ohio to Boston, is Mt Top, PA. This small town is the home to friends of ours from our Purdue days. JoAnn is also from Houston (small world). Karin first friend was Sam and is so fun to see them together after so many years.

After a quick visit we headed on to East Coast, we met the Arnolds at Wingaersheek beach in Gloucester. It is a beautiful beach and we hit at just the right time with tide out and tons of tide pools to explore and rocks to scramble over.

The sunset was beautiful and we managed to get a picture of the whole family.We woke up early the next day and headed out to explore the Freedom trail. It was wonderful to see and help our children experience learning about the beginning of our nation.
We started out at the Old North Church were the lanterns were hung to signal the British approach. 1). taken outside the church by one of the members of the Old North Church, they thought all the kids were so cute lined up. They also wanted to know if they were cousins. 2). Inside the Old South Meeting House, the start of the Boston Tea Party. 3.) Paul Revere Mall. 4). We had to stop at Mike's Pastry in Little Italy. I love the look of concentration on Karin taking a bite out of the huge cream puff. 5.) We rode the Swan Boats in Boston Common (If you have read the children's book "Make Way for Ducklings" this should look familiar). 6.) Make way for Ducklings statues 7.) The highlight of Mia's trip, playing in the Frog Pond in Boston Commons.After the Freedom Trail, Laurel and I headed off to Harvard Square to Burdick's. They have the best hot chocolate that I have ever had and I needed some more. We also got ice cream at Lizzy's (one of Boston's best). We definitely lived it up on chocolate.
We took Karin to walk around Harvard, she was excited to look around and see what an Ivy League campus looks like.
All the kids slept out on the trampoline with Ryan, while Kris, Laurel and I played "Hand and Foot." The kids all slowly trickled in during the night. It was a chilly night to sleep outside. We had so much fun with the Arnolds and we were sad to leave for our long 11 hour trip home.
It finally hit me when we got home that the Arnolds have moved. Laurel is always willing to go along with me on my crazy expeditions and we really miss having them here. Thank you for having us. We miss you.
Yes, I am waiting for those Disney World pictures! But really, I'm just happy you posted something. :-) I love the family shot of everyone, what a fun and historic place to go!
ReplyDeleteyou are so good to actually back-post! Sometimes I get too overwhelmed to do that! love the family picture on the beach - beautiful!!!
ReplyDelete