And How Background

Sunday, June 19, 2011

Road Trip

Every year we take a road trip around the country. One of the things most people find surprising is, we don't take along a DVD player. So one of the things we do is listen to Audio books. Over the years we have listened to many books. Since we spend so much time in the car I usually find a whole series to listen to over the course of the trip.

So I had a friend ask me some suggestions for our favorites. So I decided to go back and make a list of books we've listened to over the years. This is most of them, there are few that have escaped me.



Harry Potter - we listened to all 7 books, we bought the last several books in the middle of our trip on their release day, a bit scary for younger ages, my kids have all listened to them and loved them.

Little House on the Prairie - Entire series, a family favorite, I would like to visit some of the places the Ingalls lived. We driven close to some of the places out in the middle of no where, South Dakota.

Gregor. Underland series - If you are a fan of Hunger Games, same author, written for a younger audience, we really enjoyed all 5 books. There is some violence, less violent than Harry Potter, but there are several battles that take place.


Unfinished Angel - My kids loved the funny sound effects from this story.

Calder Games, Chasing Vermeer, Wright 3 by Blue Balliett - Enjoyed this series and enjoyed learning a little culture along the way. We listened to the Wright 3 while visiting Chicago and the Frank Lloyd Wright House that the story centers around.

When You Reach Me - I really enjoyed this book, the book appealed to my older kids, along the lines of 10 and older. The content is appropriate for all ages, but the story may be harder to follow for younger kids. The story centers around a 12 year old girl, who starts getting these strange notes claiming to want to save her life.

Melendy Quartet - Loved this sweet series, The Saturday, Four Story Mistake, Then there Were Five, there is a fourth one, Spiderweb for Two we haven't listened to yet.

BFG - If you are familiar with Charlie and the Chocolate Factory, this is another fun story by Roald Dahl.

Bud, Not Buddy - Set in the depression era, about an African-American 10 year old orphan. I tend to pick put a lot of Newbury Award winners and this is one I really enjoyed.

Hattie Big Sky - Orphaned, 16 year old Hattie inherits a homestead in Montana and the adventures and trials of trying to fulfill the requirements to keep the homestead.

Beverly Cleary - Love all of her books.

The Penderwicks - the adventures of 4 sisters, perfect for our family. I think the adventurous girls would appeal to both boys and girls.

Water Street - set during the building of the Brooklyn Bridge, loved learning some of the history, apparently this is a continuation of the story and there are 2 books previous to this one. I am going to have to look for the others.

I am trying to figure out what to listen to this summer, I have Anne of Green Gables series and one possibility, but I think we may have listened to parts of it. We definitely have watched the series many times. Anyone have any suggestions?

4 comments:

  1. Last summer we listened to The Goose Girl. There are four more after that one you could listen to. We also listened to Science Fair by Barry and Pearson. The reader is great--so funny! You'll love it. We also started Peter and the Starcatchers series by Barry and Pearson. Thanks for this post! Just in time for our car trips.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You reminded me, we did listen to all of the Goose Girl series and the Peter and the Starcatchers. We haven't listened to the Science Fair, we'll have to try that one.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I loved reading your list! I think it's fantastic you listen to books, rather than bring along a DVD player. Mmm, my suggestions would be The Graveyard Book (not sure if it would be too scary, I don't think so...definitely not anymore than Harry Potter!) and the Fablehaven series. Happy listening!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Took me a minute to figure out who's blog this was when the latest popped up! So glad you still think about it! :) Just read the Gregor the Overlander series while we were on our trip and was going to recommend them to y'all! Glad we are on the same wavelength! We love and will miss you guys!!!

    ReplyDelete