And How Background

Monday, September 27, 2010

Memories in a bottle




Several years ago I saw this photo in Martha Stewart Living. I loved the bottles of sands and thought it would be a great way to remember some of the places we have visited. Each of the bottles is labeled with the place and date visited. It took me several years and much searching to finally compromise on the bottles to finally start. So here is our small collection to date.

It's fun to see the variations from each location. Each of our bottles is labeled with place, GPS coordinates (for the geek in us), and date. We collected sand or rocks along the shores in Cape Cod MA, Fairview Lake Utah, Cocoa Beach FL, Port Aransas TX, Mustang Island TX, and White Sands NM within the last year. I am sad that I didn't start earlier since we went to the Oregon coast several years back and we aren't likely to get back there anytime soon.

3 comments:

  1. What a fantastic idea, I love it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Katy: You are always so clever. Also...when did you redecorate your room?? It looks so chic!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. We started this a few years ago when we went to South Africa. We got all kinds of sand from different beaches down one side and up the other side of africa - talk about range in colors. the closer to the indian ocean we got - the more colorful - guess its warmer there so that makes sense.

    ReplyDelete