And How Background

Monday, May 24, 2010

Cheesy Corn

Last year when I was in New York, my brother took us to a cool little restaurant, La Esquina. It looks like a taco stand from the outside, but apparently it has a speakeasy type restaurant in the basement. Paul was eating there and noticed numerous people disappearing through a door and not a lot coming back out. It turned out it was one of those word of mouth entrance restaurants (you have to know someone to gain access). Paul was able to smooth talk someone into letting him in, it wasn't open when we went, so we couldn't even go down and look around.

So, anyways, Paul's favorite thing to get there is the cheesy corn, there is a more authentic name, but that is what we call it. I found a recipe for it and made it tonight, it was as good as I remember. It call for Cotija cheese (a parmesan like hard cheese), which I only could find at Aldi of all places. Granted I live in NE Ohio so most people may have more luck finding it in their local grocery store.

So here's the recipe:

La Esquina 106 Kenmare Street Manhattan

"La Esquina Grilled Corn" By Chef Richard Ampudia

Ingredients:

  • 1 Large Ear of Fresh Yellow Corn
  • 2 oz. of Grated Cotija Cheese (Available at Latin food markets)
  • 2 oz. of Mayonaise
  • ½ Lime
  • ½ oz. of Chili Powder
  • (1) 4'' Wood Skewer or corn holders

    Method:

    Remove Husk from Corn, and proceed to grill for approximately 5 minutes on each side or until golden. Do not allow it to burn or it will turn bitter.

    Once you have roasted the whole ear of corn remove from the fire and insert the wood skewer in one end.

    With a pastry brush or spatula apply a light coating of mayonnaise, making sure you cover the whole ear of corn.

    Sprinkle the Cotija cheese making sure you cover the whole ear of corn.

    Slightly dust with chili powder to suit your taste.

    Before serving squeeze a 1/4of the lime on top of the corn.

  • 3 comments:

    1. Katy: I LOVE this corn and I LOVE you for introducing me to it!! The official name is "Elotes Callejeros"--soooo tasty!!

      ReplyDelete
    2. So funny, a Latin woman from our Richardson ward would make this! I wasn't brave enough to try it, but in the mouth of two witnesses...

      ReplyDelete
    3. You have the best recipes, so I'll make this one for sure! I hope you post many more recipes on your blog! :-)

      ReplyDelete